Project Information and History
The complex of buildings at 50, 52 and 60 Valley Street is made up of conjoined buildings built during different time periods over more than 200 years. In 1773, Christopher Olney, operator of the Rising Sun Paper Mill, constructed a one story building for use as a paper mill, calling it the Brown George. After several different owners, the Brown George became part of the Providence Bleaching Dyeing and Calendaring Company (PBD&C) in 1845 as the company expanded and converted the site and adjacent land to a bleachery. When the PBD&C aquired the property, the paper mill was converted to a Bleach House and renamed Valley Bleachery.